Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My Little Reader---Angels Among Us

So....most the people I know that actually read this are already very familiar with the scare that My Little Reader gave us about a week and a half ago so I don't really want to rehash it. I feel like I have told her story 3 dozen times. (But if you don't know---message me and I will be happy to tell you!) The point is, this entry is not about the scary parts. It is about the moments of calm and comfort in between.

With that in mind, when I look back on this experience I want to be sure that I not only remember the hard parts, but also the "angels among us" that have helped to ease the worry of this mommy's heart. 

For me the first blessing is that this happened at my mom's house and not mine. While that might sound crazy, the truth of the matter is that my parents are far more calm, cool, and collected than I am and they also live minutes away from TMC, while we live almost an hour away (depending on traffic and ability to find shoes when under pressure). It meant not worrying about what to do with the other two. It meant quicker care for my kiddo. And as an added blessing it meant we had time in the car to kill. Time to think. To plan. To call someone we trust. And what a great blessing that was. 

On the ride in we called Ben's Uncle Keith-a doctor at the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale. And how incredibly blessed were we that he was actually in Tucson at the time and able to leave his conference to come be with us at the hospital to not only give a blessing, but to decode the hospital mumbo jumbo and assure us that things really were fine. What are the chances? I believe in my heart that it was planned perfectly to be just as it was.

Most of you also know that I have had a really hard time coming to terms with My Little Reader's classroom placement this year. I truly believe that we are put in situations for reasons that we may not understand at the time, but eventually it usually all makes sense (why else would I have e.v.e.r worked in the automotive department??) With that being said, it was really r.e.a.l.l.y. hard for me to take her to school the Monday after the incident. To make matters harder, I knew that she had a sub that week. But I feel like this, too was a tremendous gift to us. Her sub was someone that I know and I was able to call him first thing Monday morning and explain our situation. He took such good care of my girl. He told me that he probably drove her nuts constantly making sure that she was okay, but that was just what I needed. It was much more than I got today from her teacher. 

Today we had another bit of a scare. Nothing like before. And I guess not really a scare other than we don't know right now what to worry about and what to brush off as regular aches and pains. But this scare meant that I hightailed it from my school to hers to pick her up from the office. Let's just say that the office staff was not impressed. Parents are under no circumstances allowed to rush in at the end of the day to make transportation changes (never mind that my girlie's transportation are her own 2 legs). Anyway, another angel stepped in. A friend that I made last year while dealing with a really difficult student. A fellow mom who has a sick kiddo that she worries about all the time. And she came to my rescue and had My Little Reader brought back to the office. And while I waited I met even more angels. The school nurse (who called me at the first sign of any concern just like I had asked her to!) classroom aides and playground monitors who came by to tell me how much they love my little girl. Someone we know from Church that is familiar with the incident that assured me she checks on My Little Reader every time she sees her and promises to let us know if anything happens. These angels mean so much to me when I can't be right there with her at school anymore. 

"Oh I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live
To teach us how to give
To guide us with a light of love

They wear so many faces
Show up in the strangest places
Grace us with their mercy
In our time of need"

Thank you to my angels! 

1 comment:

  1. WOW, what happened?? You are so blessed. Thank heavens you have 20/20 hindsight and have the gift to see the positives and not the negatives. You are blessed!

    Keep me posted. I'm in class again this Saturday and don't want another scary phone call...but I'll answer any phone call!! (It might get me out of a boring class ;)!!)

    Love, me

    ReplyDelete