Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It just goes to show...you should stick with what you know

I love having a day off in the middle of the week! We went to the zoo and lunch with Dave and Bella. We also decided to brave the new Super Target in town. Knowing that I needed to get groceries to make enchiladas, I was oh-so-happy with this multi-purpose store that would turn two errands into one. Particularly since it was long beyond nap time and the natives were getting restless. The joy in this adventure disappeared when I found myself in the Mexican food aisle staring at shelves of enchilada sauce. This should be no big deal, except for the fact that I have used the same enchilada sauce for the past few years. I love my enchilada sauce. I even turned by favorite friend onto it even though she had spent her whole life making authentic, from-scratch sauce. My favorite brand was that good. And Super Target did not have it. Not super. As I stood in that aisle one native kicked the other, another started doing the bathroom dance, and the third was wailing at the top of her lungs (because she was on the other side of that kick). I knew in that moment that I would be crazy to stop at another store just to make sure that I bought my favorite brand of sauce. I had to make a choice so I picked one.

Fast forward to dinner prep. I opened the can of the not-my-favorite-brand of enchilada sauce. The color was all wrong. The smell was not the same either. And then, there was the tiny taste from the tip of my finger. This definitely was NOT my favorite brand. I searched the cupboards hoping to find a rouge can of the favorite brand. None. Drats. Two kids were sleeping, one was in the bath. There were no options. Ben is working late all week. So, I used the unfavorite brand. I was skeptical. I was not looking forward to dinner, and I love enchiladas. An hour later dinner was ready, the enchiladas were on the table. I started with half of one enchilada, just to be sure. And you know what. They were DELICIOUS! Yummier even than the favorite brand of enchilada sauce. So yummy that I have a new favorite. So it just goes to show that you should stick with what you know...except sometimes you shouldn't! Sometimes you need to try something new just because you can. Are you stuck in a rut with a perceived favorite? It just might be time for something new!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, brand name please..... AND recipe?!?!?! I am in serious need of some dinner rejuvenation!

    Didn't you just love a day off??? Slept in,Pedicure, Christmas boutique shopping and lunch with Jennie. Yep, it was just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete