Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tender Mercies

Deciding to change classrooms has been both an easy and very difficult decision at the same time. I have always known that my days in the current classroom were numbered. There was little doubt in my mind that one day I would have to move on. But truly it wasn't even a little bit on my radar that I would be the one requesting the move. That was the first sign that this change was something bigger than me. I felt peace in the decision. But doubt is an evil temptress. Since making the decision I find myself looking around my classroom and questioning "Well, how am I going to make that work? Will I even have room for that? How much will I miss this great, big beautiful room? What was I thinking?" It certainly hasn't helped that the few people that know seem to share the same mantra-reminding me repeatedly of how much bigger the current room is. And so I find myself questioning my decision. Wondering if I was too hasty in making it. Tonight I was blessed to have time to both show my mother-in-law the two classrooms and to discuss the change. She too is facing big changes at school that she feels both peaceful and a little worried about. And she laid it out perfectly for me. She said, "Heavenly Father has given you his answer. It is up to you to listen." And he has. I suppose it is time I quit worrying and turn it over to him.

Later I went shopping. As I walked into the store I was drawn to a picture frame with a familiar quote, "A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." Jan (my new classroom next door neighbor) is that friend in my life these days. She has been my cheerleader and I have been hers. It was the perfect confirmation and exactly what I needed. Just one of several tender mercies this week confirming what I knew in my heart the instant that crazy idea to switch classrooms popped in my head. It is not about the room. Moving next to my friend Jan is no doubt exactly where I need to be. The rest is just furniture and I am a crafty one...I will make it work one way or another! Even if it means my sweet husband never gets to park his car in our fancy new three car garage. Sorry, honey. Just one more benefit of marrying a kindergarten teacher!

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome!!! I love the solutions you see, the wisdom you have and the opportunities you see ahead. We'll just need to hold each others hands when we begin to worry....:)

    We had so much fun yesterday. It was the perfect Mother's Day outing.

    Will you come and give me a vision of my new classroom sometime?!?!?

    Thanks for being an inspiration for me.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete