So...centers did not go well last week. Volunteer helpers were absent, I had a long list of students to progress monitor, and with 2 holidays early in the week, my kiddos were nuts. Thursday was the brunt of it. I left at the end of the day shaking my head. How on earth am I ever going to get them ready for 1st grade if they can't remember a word I say??
The worst part was when I took out a center that has always been a sure fire hit with previous classes. You know the one---the magic one that instantly the kids fall in love with and miraculously they stay on task. Ha! Not so with this group. I kid-you-not they spent the better part of 15 minutes making towers and throwing letters at each other. I was seriously close to tears. And the fact of the matter is---these kids really need this particular center. More than halfway through the year they should have their sight words down pat. But, alas, many of them don't and so we practice. Or in this case throw letters at each other.
So, in attempt to bring life back to my center I went in search of construction hats...because after all builders need hardhats and we were building words. Can I just tell you, for a short time today the clouds parted, angels sang, and kids built words! Well----at least 2 of the 3 groups did, but hey that is much better than last week. It just goes to show that every once in awhile things go the way I plan them in my head. Here is hoping the magic last through tomorrow as well!







What cracks me up in this situation is that I got to witness that these were $40 hard-hats. And they are worth it, even at that price. :)
ReplyDelete(5 hats from dollar store = $40 because of all the other things that HAVE to be purchased while at the dollar store, even though we only went in for hats...)
I LOVE this creativity. Hey, if it will get them learning it is worth it at any price - - only said by a TRUE teacher, right??? Will those hats work for AIMS too?? I'm willing to try.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking that the extent of my creativity has involved cutting straws for teaching angles, using a million toothpicks for teaching lines and thinking about making 33 homemade geoboards. Yikes.
By the way, you. are. awesome.