As I am sure you know, we have faced years of food battles with the oldest. To her credit she has come a loooooong way in the last four years. However, there are still struggles. She gets picky at things that I know that she has eaten and liked. For example, apples. She likes apples, eats apples, asks for them at McDonald's instead of french fries. So when it comes time to pack school lunches I feel that it is my duty as a mother that her lunch include some kind of fruit or vegetable. We tried carrots, again something she likes, eats, and asks for. If she buys hot lunch, she always gets carrots from the salad bar. But when they are packed in her lunch she ignores them. What gives?
Then came the great apple experiment. She likes apples, but prefers to have them cut. So daddy tried cutting them and of course they turned brown and came home untouched. So then he experimented. I think with lemon juice. Same result. Untouched brown apples. Yuck. Then I gave in and bought the pre-sliced apples that cost one arm and half a leg. Seriously. $3.49 for what maybe amounts to 3 apples. What ?!? But, again, my mom badge was on the line-get fruit into the kid or lose the badge. Guess what. Still the apples went untouched. ARGH! I started racking my brain. What am I going to feed this kid? To her credit she will eat banana chips-though I have a feeling they have more sugar than banana.
Saturday I was in the fruit cup aisle getting pears for the littlest and oranges for the middle-est. I am super happy that now they come in 100% fruit juice (that's 2 points for my mom badge). So, while in the aisle I see pineapple also in 100% juice. Could she? Would she? Sure why not, if nothing else we can use it for Hawaiian Chicken. I brought it home and launched in with my best infomercial about how great pineapple is and how much she loved it at Disneyland and how she eats it on said, Hawaiian Chicken. I got a maybe. She agreed to try it, but wanted to try it at home before she had it in her lunch. So, tonight while eating dinner she asked if she could try it. What? She asked without cajoling, bribing, or begging? And would you believe it....
I heard angels singing when she said, can I please have this in my lunch every day? Yes, yes, you can!
Then came the great apple experiment. She likes apples, but prefers to have them cut. So daddy tried cutting them and of course they turned brown and came home untouched. So then he experimented. I think with lemon juice. Same result. Untouched brown apples. Yuck. Then I gave in and bought the pre-sliced apples that cost one arm and half a leg. Seriously. $3.49 for what maybe amounts to 3 apples. What ?!? But, again, my mom badge was on the line-get fruit into the kid or lose the badge. Guess what. Still the apples went untouched. ARGH! I started racking my brain. What am I going to feed this kid? To her credit she will eat banana chips-though I have a feeling they have more sugar than banana.
Saturday I was in the fruit cup aisle getting pears for the littlest and oranges for the middle-est. I am super happy that now they come in 100% fruit juice (that's 2 points for my mom badge). So, while in the aisle I see pineapple also in 100% juice. Could she? Would she? Sure why not, if nothing else we can use it for Hawaiian Chicken. I brought it home and launched in with my best infomercial about how great pineapple is and how much she loved it at Disneyland and how she eats it on said, Hawaiian Chicken. I got a maybe. She agreed to try it, but wanted to try it at home before she had it in her lunch. So, tonight while eating dinner she asked if she could try it. What? She asked without cajoling, bribing, or begging? And would you believe it....
she ate the whole thing!
I heard angels singing when she said, can I please have this in my lunch every day? Yes, yes, you can!




hurray!! Well done, super mommy!
ReplyDeleteYeah! You get the badge....
ReplyDeleteI fed Hero a sliced bagel with cream cheese and a strawberry or two. She said that she was still hungry so I offered her a piece of sliced cheese like Opa. I reminded myself that there is a a glassful of milk in each slice (Grin!)...she tore it into little pieces and told me that she was "making art, Oma!" Oh well, she played with her plastic cheese art for over a half an hour in the high chair. That was worth more than anything!
Hey, on another note. I checked the Tucson Book Festival and there doesn't appear to be a schedule out yet. Argh! I do see an educator speaker that I want to hear though! Last year I got Professional Development credits for attending a few classes!! They went towards my certificate renewal and they sent me the certificate proving I had been there. Awesome - double dipping! Fun for me AND credits too!