So, as you know I LOVE my class this year. Sometimes I feel like it is my reward for surviving last year. And I have mentioned a time or two that loving them has me seriously considering moving up to first grade. So...turns out I have to be making this decision in the next few weeks. And I have to say that I am feeling a bit torn. I love these kids. I have had more fun in this year of teaching than any other. BUT even if I loop with these kids, I won't actually get to keep them all. In fact, I won't get to keep a third of them due to Arizona's fantastic (read sarcastic) program for English Language Learners. So, I find myself thinking how hard it would be to start with 15 that I love, and then add 8-10 new ones to the mix. As I am sure you can figure out-that could and likely would be a very different class than the one I currently have. Plus there is the whole business of learning a new curriculum and essentially starting over. I find myself asking, why would I do that to myself? I love teaching kindergarten. It is fun and I am good at it. My principal assures me that I would be great at 1st also. But if I were to be completely honest with you (and me) I don't think that I want to keep my kids for another year as much as I don't want to start over. I have got it really good at this school. I am trusted to teach the best way I know how and have proven that I can get results. I don't have a clue what the first grade standards are. So, while I love this class...I am leaning more and more toward letting them go and be loved by others next year. It makes me sad, but I think that I would rather have the memory of this awesome amazing class, than to have a very possible different memory of next year's class. On a super high note, today I scored a very rare compliment from the principal. She said that I have made my name as a great kindergarten teacher that is much desired and that parents are already requesting my class for next year. AWESOME! I think that means that my new kinders could be just as awesome as this group.
4 days ago




It sounds like you are making a good decision. Being a "first year teacher" again would be HARD....I know!! I am loving third grade but it is still such a foreign land to me!! I know you will make the right decision both for you AND them!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a terrific compliment too!! Congrats!