Earlier this week my visiting teachers actually had the opportunity to visit. During the school year it seems that our schedules never meet up. With school, ballet, after-school activities, Ben's travel, etc. every date we set somehow got missed. But first thing Tuesday morning they came by for a visit. I feel like I already know them so well. I teach one sister's daughter in Primary every week. And the son of the other sister often spends some amount of time on my lap during sharing time to discourage crawling around on the floor barking. (I am sooo not kidding!)
The mom of that little boy was in charge of sharing the message and she choose Elder Cook's conference talk "LDS Women Are Incredible!" She read several quotes from the talk, but one stood out. "Our sisters throughout the Church consistently succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees. One Relief Society president who acknowledged this extraordinary service said, 'Even when sisters serve, they are thinking, 'If only I could have done more."
Today was our Harkin's Movie Day. Yippee! It finally feels like summer. Between a broken car and intense ballet schedule we haven't done much in the way of summer fun. As usual we arrived as the movie was starting. There were 2 theaters, we went to the first only to find out that there weren't 4 seats together. So we headed to the other one. As we were entering that same sister was walking in behind us. She and her kids sat right behind us and she asked me to watch her boys while she ran to the bathroom. As she got up to leave she tripped over a step. I watched in slow motion as she stumbled and fell right on her stomach. Did I mention that she is 35 weeks pregnant?? I ran to her and she was crying and clearly had the wind knocked out of her. I ran from the theater to find an employee to help. Thankfully the mom that had been sitting behind us watched over both sets of kids. The theater staff wanted to call the paramedics to check her out, but she refused service. Eventually we got her up and out of the theater and she called her doctor who ordered her to the hospital to get checked out.
So would you believe I stuffed her three boys, plus my three kids into the car to bring them home. Not only that, but I took all six to the grocery store to get stuff for lunch. The seven of us hung out for the next 5+ hours.
As the day was unfolding I was reminded of the quote above. My friend was very reluctant to send the boys home with me. She didn't want to burden me. But really, who wants to take 3 VERY active boys to the ER for a 4 hour non-stress test. Personally, I think that would only ensure failing that test. And again I was reminded that I have an army but not only that, I am also part of an army. An army of incredible, generous, selfless women that are there to step in and step up no matter what the need. Even as I was leaving the movie theater I ran into 2 families from church and 1 from school that all offered to help with the boys if I needed it. And it just confirms to me once again, that we have found the perfect place to raise our kids. A place that embraces so many of those old-fashioned values that are sometimes hard to find in our fast-paced world.
P.S. My friend passed her non-stress test, but will probably be very sore for a few days. Keep her in your thoughts.
P.P.S. Because so many of the women in my army are of other faiths, I put LDS in parenthesis in the title. The women I know are incredible regardless of their faith. :)
P.S. My friend passed her non-stress test, but will probably be very sore for a few days. Keep her in your thoughts.
P.P.S. Because so many of the women in my army are of other faiths, I put LDS in parenthesis in the title. The women I know are incredible regardless of their faith. :)




I love that about the women that I know. They always are willing to help. It is always a great reminder to me when I am feeling a little bit "too busy" that the Savior isn't, and the women aren't and neither should I be. Thanks.
ReplyDelete