Today we were running late. It is oh-so-hard to be motivated to do anything when you can hear the wind whipping against your house and you know that the temperature outside is currently 16 degrees but feels like 4 due to wind chill. Running late on days like today is not a good thing. Cold weather means that the students are sent to our classrooms earlier than usual. Which means the teacher should be earlier than usual...not later. But it was hard to find clothes that would keep me warm enough and still be somewhat professional. Regardless of the reasons-we were late.
Then we arrived at the preschool to drop the little-est off. The whole building was dark. What?!? Last night in the course of 5 minutes I received 4 texts and 3 emails alerting me to the fact that we were allowed to wear jeans today. I know that jean day is like manna from heaven for school teachers, but did the district cancel school and everyone just forgot to tell me? Nope. But the preschool was closed. No electricity=no preschool. NOW WHAT? So I piled the little-est back in the car and hurried on our way (now we were even later and I had an extra, unexpected kid in my car). I knew that my principal would rather have me + the little-est than try to call in a sub for the day. So we scurried into the classroom, mere steps in front of my eskimo students. The principal came by and I told her of my predicament. No problem-he can spend the day here. But somehow that didn't seem like a good idea.
Suddenly, after what had been maybe 15 minutes of panic it dawned on me that I have an army. I have an army of amazing friends that I have made over the past three years. Girls I know I can always count on in a pinch. Two of these friends took care of getting my kids home when I was sick a few weeks ago and will help in a few weeks when we are out of town. Another friend is always ready to lend a hand. At least 3 of the current moms in my class would have come to collect my little-est in a heartbeat. And I could go on. I called one of these girls and she swooped in to save the day. Even that took an army. A mom from another class who happened to still be at school took the little-est to another friend's house who then took him to his destination for the day.
We lived in our South Mountain home for more than 4 years and I never had friends that I could count on like that.
And once again I found myself feeling so blessed that we call this small town "HOME". It isn't the quaint, old-fashion tree lined small town from the past, but it is perfect and wonderful and I feel so lucky that we found our way here.
Then we arrived at the preschool to drop the little-est off. The whole building was dark. What?!? Last night in the course of 5 minutes I received 4 texts and 3 emails alerting me to the fact that we were allowed to wear jeans today. I know that jean day is like manna from heaven for school teachers, but did the district cancel school and everyone just forgot to tell me? Nope. But the preschool was closed. No electricity=no preschool. NOW WHAT? So I piled the little-est back in the car and hurried on our way (now we were even later and I had an extra, unexpected kid in my car). I knew that my principal would rather have me + the little-est than try to call in a sub for the day. So we scurried into the classroom, mere steps in front of my eskimo students. The principal came by and I told her of my predicament. No problem-he can spend the day here. But somehow that didn't seem like a good idea.
Suddenly, after what had been maybe 15 minutes of panic it dawned on me that I have an army. I have an army of amazing friends that I have made over the past three years. Girls I know I can always count on in a pinch. Two of these friends took care of getting my kids home when I was sick a few weeks ago and will help in a few weeks when we are out of town. Another friend is always ready to lend a hand. At least 3 of the current moms in my class would have come to collect my little-est in a heartbeat. And I could go on. I called one of these girls and she swooped in to save the day. Even that took an army. A mom from another class who happened to still be at school took the little-est to another friend's house who then took him to his destination for the day.
We lived in our South Mountain home for more than 4 years and I never had friends that I could count on like that.
And once again I found myself feeling so blessed that we call this small town "HOME". It isn't the quaint, old-fashion tree lined small town from the past, but it is perfect and wonderful and I feel so lucky that we found our way here.




You are indeed blessed and lucky!! Good friends are priceless....I still think I'm growing mine!
ReplyDelete