My Little Reader has wanted to be in student council since kindergarten. It is her dream. It didn't happen in 2nd grade and she was disappointed. She has been talking about her "next big chance" since 3rd grade started. Speeches were due this week. She was very organized, making a table of all the points she wanted to cover and why she was the best choice. She wrote her speech and read it to our new assistant principal (who by the way was supposed to be her 4th grade teacher until he decided to take a promotion and come to our school). He said it was great. I thought it was great. The kids in her class--apparently did not think it was great. They even forgot to clap. Today her fantastic ( read that one as sarcastically as you would like---me, I am using extra emphasis) teacher announced the winners by erasing the names of the "losers" beginning by erasing My Little Reader's name first. Here's hoping that next year she finally gets picked, or at least has a teacher who thinks things through before she breaks the heart of an 8 year old. Bummer. We are going to wallow in ice cream because, after all, sooner or later we all learn that ice cream is a great band-aid for a broken heart.
4 days ago




I HATE popularity contests. I wish that teachers could select the stu-co kids based on grades, participation, responsibility....you know, have more of a hand in it than who has the better hand outs or wears the coolest clothes. Hug her a bunch for me. I had to hug some of my kiddos through times like these....
ReplyDelete