Monday, May 16, 2011

Procrastination is the name of the game

Seriously. There is no reason in my right mind that I should be on here right now. My list has not gotten any shorter. In fact, I should go back and add the things that I forgot the first time around just so that I don't continue to forget them. I am five-ish books away from being done with scrap books-well except for binding them. Which I can do tomorrow while I have a sub. But the real reason I am on here is to record some things about today to remember. I really can't believe that I am not going to first grade with these kids. I waver back and forth between understanding the logic behind the choice and realizing how truly sad I am to see them go. Which leads me to today. Two of my little boys were crying today. It makes it all that much harder when the tears start early in the week. But the real kicker was my quiet, stoic little boy. The one that never gives me a high-five or hug at buses. He is a super smart kid, and he is sneaky or maybe deliberate would be a better word. He knows just how to push buttons, but not in a bad way. Like I will remind him to write his name with only one upper case and all the rest lower case so his A will be HUGE and I won't be able to read the rest without a magnifying glass. I am going to miss him. And apparently- despite his stoicism he is going to miss me too. Because today I got, "I am not sitting on this rug to do calendar until you promise to be my teacher next year. " Holy cow, talk about ripping my heart out kid. I know why I made the choice I did, and I know that I will be glad for it when a new crew comes in August, but here today it is literally breaking my heart to see them go. This is one group of kids that I will never forget. Hopefully, with Princess in Training being the same age, I will get to watch many of them grow up together. Alright. Back to the grind. These silly books will be done by 9 so that I can spend the rest of the night working on 101 other things.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl!! I am, on the other hand, rejoicing that I can say goodbye to a few select students. I have become a regular grump with some. Aren't some years like that? I will miss a certain red-headed rag-a-muffin that looks like either Annie or Pippi Longstockings!! I will also miss the curiosity and enthusiasm for reading that this class has!! How will I miss Mr. Mario who is like a grown-up kid already. He has become such a dependable kiddo that he even answered my phone the other day! (I did have to remind him that THAT wasn't ok!) Alright, I guess I will miss them. Thanks for the prompting.

    You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete