Thursday, August 12, 2010

Here's my sign

Every so often one of my fabulous principals will lovingly remind me that I have a sign plastered across my forehead. You probably can't see it because I even forget that it is there until that day. You know the day....the one where said principal comes in my classroom at the end of the day and begins with..."So, how much do you like me?" And then she drops the bomb. You know...the one where your perfectly wonderful class of students is about to be disrupted by a high need student that is not finding success in one of your colleagues classrooms. And suddenly I am reminded that I wear a sign across my forehead that says, "structured, organized, firm, and unable to say no to a challenge." It happened at the Charter School...and several times in Glendale. It also happened my first year in Sahuarita. And then it happened again today. To be fair today's bomb is not entirely a done deal, though probably it will be since of the three possible teachers I am the only one with a special ed aide that can provide the additional support this student will need. And to be completely honest I ended up really loving most of the kids that came from these situations. I loved Betteva and Dee. It took sometime but Justin and I eventually made it work. I loved Andrew...well, until he attacked me with a pair of scissors. And I would be totally lying if I didn't say it was somewhat gratifying to know that my principal trusts that I can be the teacher this student needs. Her compliments are given sparingly and knowing that she thinks I am fit for the job is a little self-esteem booster and a reminder that I really am good at what I do. Though this year, while I am loving my class part of me wishes that I wasn't so good at this just so we could keep hanging out in our happy little world of kindergarten free of temper tantrums and screaming and crying-me of course being the one that is crying.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that the truth!! I just HATE it when the principal starts a sentence with those words.....or any one else as a matter of fact.

    I missed your posts. Glad you're back on the planet. I'm not sure I am!!

    ReplyDelete