Friday, September 11, 2009

I remember

My sweet sister-in-law posted a great message on her blog about the events that changed our world 8 years ago. I thought I would follow her lead.

There is a country song, "Where were you when the world stopped turning" that still plays on the radio today. When I hear it my heart always breaks a little bit. There is one line about teaching a class full of innocent children that feels like it was written for me. 8 years ago September 11th was my first day of school at a small charter school. I had a class of just 8 children that day. There was much discussion about proceeding for the day or sending the students home. We opted to let the students stay unless their families came for them. I remember the 7th/8th grade teacher had the news on in our lunch room and would come down with updates throughout the day.

But even before that I remember waking up to the radio that morning. The news already coming in waves. I remember the pictures. The videos of the tragedy unfolding before our eyes. I remember driving to work and hearing the reports. There was no music that day. I also remember when the planes stopped flying overhead. Before that day I had never paid that much attention to the frequency of the planes over Phoenix, but when they were grounded for days I remember the sky looked so empty.

I remember the heartache I felt for how many were lost and consequently how many were left behind. It is a little hard to believe that so many years have already passed. Or that we still have troops fighting something that began so long ago. I am grateful beyond words for the sacrifices they and their families make to protect our freedoms. I am awed at the sacrifices they make, sacrifices I don't think I would have the courage to make.

I was saddened that there was no remembrance at our school today. While I understand that none of our students were born when these events occured, with many of our families serving in the military the students lives are still directly affected. And we should have done something to remember this event.

I remember the stories of the lives of police and firefighters that were lost as they tried to save people still inside the towers. The cruelty of even more lives being lost as they were trying so desperately to save others. I remember the stories of searchers scouring the rubble looking for anyone that might have survived and how heartbreaking it was that so few were found. I remember the amazing stories of courage that surfaced of the flight that didn't go down without a fight. I remember how much more important it became to tell those around you exactly how much they meant to you. To me that remains the most important lesson of that day...to cherish your loved ones, let the little things slide, and never take anything for granted.

I remember...

1 comment: